Now Reading
Tory Lanez handcuffed in court for violating protective order in Megan Thee Stallion assault case

Tory Lanez handcuffed in court for violating protective order in Megan Thee Stallion assault case

As a result of his violation of a protective order in the felony assault case surrounding the alleged shooting of Megan Thee Stallion, rapper Tory Lanez was shackled and brought into custody on Tuesday. According to Megan’s lawyer Alex Spiro in a statement to USA TODAY, Lanez, 29, whose real name is Daystar Peterson, was arrested in a Los Angeles courthouse after Superior Court Judge David Herriford “found sufficient evidence that he breached the order of protection.” After posting bail, the rapper was released a few hours later.

Spiro continued, “The self-serving bluster in this case will not alter the facts or stop this lawsuit from moving forward. The conditions of the protective order prohibit Lanez from contacting Megan, whose legal name is Megan Pete, or harassing her, as well as from disclosing case-related information before trial. Even though Lanez didn’t speak to Megan directly, the judge stated several of his tweets seemed to be direct addresses to her. As a result, the judge ordered Lanez to stop mentioning Megan in any social media posts. In court, Lanez’s attorney, Shawn Holley, said that the rapper failed to provide information to a Twitter user who claimed in February that his DNA had not been discovered on the case’s weapon.

Holley argued that the now-deleted post was not totally true. According to her, an examination revealed that the firearm had DNA from four different people, making it impossible to determine whether Lanez’s DNA was there. She said that there was no way his DNA could have been on the gun’s magazine. The district attorney initially “asked that (Lanez’s) bail be revoked” or “be upped to $5 million,” according to testimony by Holley in court. Instead, the judge raised Lanez’s $250,000 bond, which he posted after his arrest in 2021, to $350,000.

The rapper was told to appear in court once more for a hearing in June, and a trial date was set for September. The case is the result of a criminal complaint in which prosecutors claim Lanez shot at Megan during an argument in the Hollywood Hills in July 2020 after she got out of an SUV and “caused grievous bodily injury” on her. Lanez may receive a sentence as long as 23 years if found guilty.

See Also

After months of rumors and media attention around the incident, Lanez was charged in October 2020. Shots were fired, a woman suffered foot injuries, and a male was detained on a firearms charge, according to the initial Los Angeles police report of the event. But Megan eventually acknowledged that she had been wounded in the foot, and a month after the incident, she claimed that Lanez had fired the rounds in an Instagram video. Over the following weeks, she steadily shared more on social media.

She stated in an opinion piece for The New York Times that “the way people have publicly questioned and discussed whether I played a role in my own violent assault indicates that my anxieties about disclosing what happened were, unfortunately, valid.” Lanez tweeted “the truth will come to the light” and “a charge is not a conviction” the day after he was charged.

View Comments (0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

© 2022 Varys Hollywood. All Rights Reserved.

Scroll To Top